Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rod's Memories about Dad

One day, when I was in Kindergarten and had that infernal cast on my leg for my pidgeon-toedness, he brought a wagon to school to pull me home. Daisy walked with us and asked why she didn’t get to ride in the wagon. He explained that he, of course, liked me better (just kidding). He explained patiently that I had a cast on my leg and he had to pull me, and the wagon wouldn’t fit us both. I think he exhibited a lot of love and patience in that situation. He was a good role model for me in that regard.

When I was probably about seven, I remember visiting Dad in the hospital in SLC, and sitting on his lap after one of his operations. His arm was paralyzed, and I asked him about not being able to use it. But he still tried to lift it just to show me. I remember wondering how it could be so hard to lift your own arm.

I remember bringing him some orange candy slices and he shared them with us all. That was my favorite candy too for a long time after that.

I remember his smiling and having a good attitude about things, even though he was in a bad way.

When he died, Mom told me the next morning. I didn’t have to, but I still went to school that day. I guess he was never really part of my day-to-day life that much so it didn’t really impact me very much that he was gone.

When it came time for the viewing, everyone went, but Mom gave me the choice and I stayed home wanting to remember him how he was. I think that was better for me, at age seven. I think Daisy went I don’t know if she remembers that or not. Now I never go to viewing when people die.

Other than that, I don’t have many memories of my Father.
—Rod Dial

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you were kidding about Dad liking you better Rod, because we all know that I was his favorite!